I haven’t blogged too much nor posted often on social media about the recent changes in our families health. We’ve made some positive steps to get us on the right track to a healthier lifestyle. One of the biggest changes I knew I needed to make was nutritional. I’d happily survive off tacos, chicken nuggets, and candy if I had the choice but that kind of diet is really just doing me a disservice. I had to stop eating like a seven year old child all the time and needed to make better snacking choices.
Thus this protein ball was born.
I know there are a million different protein ball recipes out there. I’ve tried a few in the past but wanted something that was simple to make, packed full of protein to fight off cravings, was a little crunchy, and of course delicious.
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup peanut or almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 scoop of your choice in flavor of protein powder
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Add oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, honey, nut butter, vanilla extract, chocolate chips, and protein powder to a large mixing bowl.
- Combine all ingredients until they are evenly coated in honey and nut butter. The mixture will start to clump.
- With semi-wet hands, start to roll the mixture into evenly sized balls.
- Place on wax paper and chill for a few hours before serving.
Besides for having a quick snack to grab on the go, the best part of these is that my toddlers are eating them! I love seeing my picky children getting extra protein and reaching for these instead of fruit snacks. Mom win.