It seems like this can be one of those “hot topics” that gets really heated in the mommy community. Everyone has their own opinion on it and this is mine. I really only have two reasons why I’m 100% waiting until she asks me.
- It’s her body. It’s not mine. I don’t feel like I have the right to modify her body in anyway that isn’t medically necessary. I understand that these earrings can be taken out and the hole can pretty much close up on it’s own but every body is different. Every healing process is different. It is possible that it might not close especially after being in for a long period of time.
- I am against piercing guns. I will only go to a licensed piercer and have a needle used. Most piercers will only do the procedure if the child is able to verbally say that they would like it done.
Now, why am I against piercing guns?
- They are one size fits all. Most of these guns are not expandable which means some people may find that the earrings are too tight. There is often little room to move the backing from the ear because the posts are short.
- It’s piercing with blunt force trauma. You’re forcing a not so sharp earring into the lobe. OUCH.
- Lack of training. Was your piercer actually trained? You think that 18 year old girl at Claires really has a lot of experience? I’m not trusting it.
I know it’s common practice in many cultures right after birth. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, it’s actually even really safe. It’s just not for me. I’m sure one day it’ll be for her.